Glow has fast become a beauty buzzword, referencing the brightening effects of a specific skincare routine bringing a noticeably radiant complexion. But where do you start with achieving this sought-after skin finish?
Everyone from celebs to influencers, journalists, makeup artists and industry experts are raving about glowing skin, with on-trend imagery presenting fresh faces thanks to a particular regime.
Ensuring both a bare face and full made-up look each create the glow, nailing your skincare is always the best place to begin. Think a balanced skin tone, brightened complexion, minimised pores and a fresh under eye area. We’ve got your glowing skin agenda sorted, with a few expert tricks up our sleeve.
Spanning across radiance boosting and tone balancing, there are a few things we’d recommend. Read on to find out our thoughts.
Take a holistic view
- It sounds overly simple, but how much water have you had to drink today? Aim for 6-8 glasses daily, keeping a bottle by your side during busier moments as a reminder. Top it up with fresh slices of fruit for extra flavour temptation. Maintaining optimum skin hydration means replenishing moisture from within too and this is a super easy switch to make.
- Getting enough beauty sleep so your face looks and feels rested is another big one, but we know it’s not always that straightforward. Think about investing in a silk pillowcase. Silk naturally regulates your temperature, promoting coolness in hot weather and cosiness during the winter. Which is great if you toss and turn. The silk thread blend won’t pull your skin and cause pillow creases either. Plus, silk isn’t absorbent like cotton, so all your evening skincare will soak in much more efficiently.
- Prioritise the right type of exfoliation for buffing away dead skin cells and revealing a rejuvenated complexion to unveil a gorgeous glow.
- Have a go at facial massage, stimulating the blood flow. Similarly, the cold reduces inflammation, whether that is by using ice cubes, facial tools or keeping skincare in the fridge. You could even combine all of the above.
- As for the makeup you wear, look at cream-based foundation and blushers, that won’t mattify your skin, instead dialling up that dewiness.
Keep a keen eye out for hero ingredients
Alpha hydroxy acids (or AHAs for short) refer to ingredients like citric acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, and mandelic acid. Meanwhile azelaic acid is a slightly different dicarboxylic acid, but it works in a similar way to AHAs. Natural corn sugar and fruit enzyme derived AHAs are gentle while brightening up the skin’s top layer without being too harsh. Antibacterial elements remove oil and dirt build-up, by chemically exfoliating. AHAs balance the skin tone too, improving the appearance of wrinkles. They also strengthen the skin’s barrier, assisting with building keratin and retaining firmness. Meanwhile l-ascorbic acid is a pure form of vitamin C, to fight free radicals and enable optimum production of collagen. Hello, fresh-faced glow.
Niacinamide is one of two forms of vitamin B3, and although a well-know ingredient, you may be left wondering what it actually does. Clinically proven to minimise the look of enlarged pores, niacinamide smooths out uneven skin tone and texture, while improving blemishes, fine lines, and dullness. All of which can hamper the glow-getting skin look you’re searching for.
Finally, anti-inflammatory favourite turmeric contains curcumin and diminishes redness, irritation, and blemishes to rebalance skin naturally.
Perfect your product picks
We have an entire range rightfully dedicated to getting a skin glow, but we’ll start by introducing you to a few key favourites:
Doyenne AHA Brightening Face Serum
This brightening wonder gently buff away dead skin cells, balancing out uneven tone and texture in the process. Corn sugar and fruit enzyme derived AHAs deliver exfoliating power which is gentle enough to take care of your skin too. Plus, soothing aloe vera juice calms. Use twice daily for optimum results.
Enzyme Resurfacing Glow Peel
This radiance boosting at home peel is clinically proven* to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles whilst improving the appearance of skin tone and luminosity. Powerful yet gentle on the skin, it is infused with proteolytic enzymes - Papaya, Mango and Pineapple to lift away dull and dead skin cells for a smoother and renewed-looking appearance - think a glowing veil which also protects deeper skin layers. Meanwhile the skin’s natural barrier is strengthened, and fine lines are improved to create a smoother look.
Wink Stem Cell Lift Eye Cream
The hydrating vitamin C cream adds an eye-opening glow. Liquorice balances uneven tone and dark circles are diminished, while hyaluronic acid infuses the delicate eye area with thirst-quenching moisture and Vitamin A refines the look of fine lines and wrinkles alongside an eye contour awakening blend of Coffea Arabica.