This weekend, Winter officially arrives with Dec 1st. This could mean plummeting temperatures, steaming hot showers, harsh winds and central heating - all things that unfortunately don't lend themselves to a soft, radiant complexion. Tightness, dryness, flaking, chapping, itchiness - we've all been there, but rest assured having soft skin and a glow in the winter IS possible. Here’s our fool proof way to it.
- Look for shea butter. Particularly when it comes to choosing a body cream, lip balm or salve, it's important to keep an eye out for formulas that include this miracle ingredient. It goes on smooth - instead of waxy - and is intensely nourishing. Try our RENDEZVOUS! Souffle
- Cleansing. When it comes to taking off your makeup and cleaning your face, avoid skin wipes at all costs. Not only are most full of nasty chemicals, they're incredibly drying. Pick a kind cleanser such as AWAKE! Recharge that'll calm your skin, gently get rid of dirt and won't leave your face with that horrible "stripped" feeling.
- Moisturising. Winter skincare's saving grace, moisturising is essential but it's crucial that you get the right one for your skin type. Try our what’s my skin type quiz to identify your skin's habits - is it flaky? Is it itchy? Is it sore? Follow up with a look at our customised skin regime for product recommendations to eliminate your concerns.
- Lip Balm. Our attitude when it comes to lip balm is: if you don't wear it, don't start. Your lips become reliant on products which can eventually lead to more chapping should you stop. However, if you're already at that stage, lip balm is something worth investing in. Usually a last-minute thought for skincare, it's easy to pick up a cheap stick on the go but effectiveness varies so wildly with each balm.
- Pay attention to your hands. Skin on your hands tends to be thinner - and have fewer oil glands - than other parts of your body. What this means is that your hands are often the first place you experience cracked, dry skin. So, be sure to keep them soft and supple by opting for a lotion that includes shea butter and all-natural oils like avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Anti-pollution skincare. Pollution levels are on the rise and causing havoc on our skin’s defence mechanisms leading to hyper sensitivity, uneven tone, premature ageing and dull sallow complexions. Thankfully, there’s now a whole host of ways to protect your skin from pollution with our City skin collection, from deep-cleansing washes lime AWAKE! Recharge, that sweep away every last particle, to serums like CONTROL! Clarifying- rich in radical-neutralising vitamin C and our nutrient rich night creams like Freya + Bailey’s NOCTURNAL! Restore with a myriad of skin-boosting benefits.
- And remember to keep drinking water. Sure, this may not be a change necessarily, but it's still important. Now that it's not hot and humid, it can be easy to forget to drink the recommended amount each day - but it's crucial to healthy, clear skin all year round.